Wednesday, May 29, 2013

5/24/13 day 10 Sisters to Prineville 50 mi

We slept in at the Sisters Inn after a very tiring, chilling and wet experience the day before climbing over McKenzie Pass. 
At the advice of a local bike shop owner we took a 43 mile deviation (that pretty much paralled the official TransAm route) that was much more scenic and allowed me to see some very strange looking animals that I had never seen before.   See the photo of the Alpaca below.

Slept in the back of the community park at the base of a butte where there were turkey vultures soaring overhead sizing me up for an easy meal.

Started out beautiful in the evening and awoke to ice in our water bottles.   I brought along my 40 degree sleeping bag so had to add extra clothes (on top of the default layer of long johns to both protect the bag and stay comfy) plus pulled out the reflective mylar space blanket to retain the heat radiating from my body.  Worked great.   Easily added another 15 degrees of usable range.

No comments:

Post a Comment