Thursday, May 30, 2013

5/25/13 Sat. Day 11 Prineville to Dayville, OR 87 mi

This was a beautiful but tiring day with two passes to get over.  There was 4350 ft of climbing into the heavens above but with a heavenly rest at the end.  I am very thankful for the love and compassion shown by the Dayville Communuty Presbyterian Church who provide a freewill donation only hostel for bicyclists along the Transam bike route.  After a long and physically draining day it does the soul good to come into this caring place where you can be warm and can get a hot shower, do laundry and cook in their kitchen and share stories with others.  May God bless them in their ministry!

As you can see from the pictures, church attendance may never be the same. I hope that I have not started a trend. The only requirement is that you not be sleeping during the sermon.

Rose, the wonderful manager of the hostel, told of a biker that recently passed through and had an encounter with a rattlesnake.  The biker had his bicycle at the edge of the road. The rattlesnake had come to the road seeking the warmth and ended up getting intertwined in the spokes of the bicycle.  He had to call the local sheriff who shot the rattlesnake. They also found another rattlesnake at the other side of the road. I guess I better be more observant of where I park my bicycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment