Wednesday, June 12, 2013

6/8/13 Sat Day 25 7 mi S of Cameron, MT to Yellowstone National Park (Madison , WY 71 mi

Gorgeous day for biking starting at 58 deg and warming to 85 deg.  Did not get beakfast (other than a pop tart) until about 35 miles into the ride.  We stopped at the Creekside Cafe approximately 20 - 25 miles before getting to West Yellowstone.

They have the largest  pancakes I have ever seen.  I have had many challenges in my life but this is the first time that I have ever been defeated by a pancake!  Can you say "HUGE, Rochester, HUGE" ?  That will actually be my breakfast for three days.

I crossed a cattle guard that could really do some serious damage to the unsuspecting (like myself).  All the cattle guards I have eever crossed have been about four feet across and flat topped and fairly narrow-spaced tubes.

This grate (see picture) was about ten feet across and the tubes were round and spaced about 10 inches on center.  Fortunately,  I took it at full cruising speed with my handlebars tightly locked and crossed at 90 degrees.  Apparently bison do not like these grates, but neither does this biker!

As we entered Yellowstone National Park we LEFT MONTANA AND ENTERED WYOMING.

Joy had the first of three of her retirement parties last night.  Sorry I could not be there to celebrate with you, Sweetie. 

I missed out on an opportunity to meet with a childhood friend, David King, that I had not heard from for about 40 years until just a couple months ago.  He lives  about an hour and a half by car fromYellowstone and we had planned to meet during our TransAm trek through the area but he has been just released fom the hospital and is still too weakened from the illness to be able to travel.  Pray for his recovery.  We may be able to get together next year for a backpacking or ski trip.

We climbed 2835 ft today.

No comments:

Post a Comment